Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sweet Potato Salad - My new favorite summer salad

So here is my rendition of a lovely salad I will definitely be making for all the potluck/BBQ's coming this summer. With a day as warm as today, I had to give it a test-drive and we were not disappointed.

I found this recipe out of a new cookbook I have been trying: The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook by Tosca Reno.  The picture alone was so appealing I had to try it.  I did "modify" just so slightly.  Seems I can hardly get myself to follow an actual recipe to a "T" any more.  Hope you will find it as inspiring and delicious tasting too!

Sweet Potato Salad


4 cups cubed sweet potato - peeled, cubed and precooked
1/2 cucumber (about 6 inches long) - deseeded
1 green onion - trimmed and chopped
1 - 2 stalks celery - diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (half of a lemon)
2 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup plain yogurt
zest of the half lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Optional: 3 cups precooked quinoa*

Precook the cubed sweet potato in a pot of boiling water.  Cook them until just tender so they will not mush up in the salad.  How long?  Your guess is as good as mine and depends on how small you cut them as well.  Start with boiling for 5 minutes.  Once done, set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, mix together the lemon juice and vinegar for the dressing. 

Remove the seeds from the cucumber (inner section of the cuc, even if seedless) so it is not so mushy for the salad.  This can be done with a knife or spoon or melon baller.  Cut the cucumber into bite-size pieces and add to the vinegar dressing.  Add the chopped celery, green onion and fresh cilantro.  Toss with the dressing.  Add the sweet potato and toss gently.

In a small bowl, mix the yogurt with the lemon zest.



To serve, plate the sweet potato salad, top with pumpkin seeds and yogurt.  If using the quinoa, first plate this, top with the sweet potato, seeds and dressing.  Season with salt and pepper and enjoy! 

*If you are new to quinoa, it is a high-protein grain that is kinda like couscous and rice.  I cook it up like rice (1:2 grain/water) and always make extra to use for salads like this, soups, or extra protein in our porridge.  For this salad, it adds a protein component, more texture and color which makes this salad all the more delicious!


What would I do different next time?
I think one thing I would change would be the pumpkin seeds.  I have a great recipe for seasoned seeds and I think that would add a delightful spark to the light salad.  That recipe will be coming as soon as I find it again.

Rating:
Definitely a 5-star rating in my opinion which basically means a definite make again.

1 comment:

  1. i might just make that now…in march! looks wonderful and doesn't have nightshades! yay!

    ReplyDelete